Saturday, January 4, 2014

Winter Vegan Essentials


Along with freezing cold temperatures, winter brings dry air, wind, snow and outdoor activities. There are some essential vegan products I depend on to get me through these chilly months. I wanted to share them with you and suggest some products and ideas that might help you endure the joys of winter (I'm being sarcastic. I hate winter with a raging passion).

Hair

I recommend Giovanni's products as they have no wax, no parabens, aren't tested on animals, and leave your hair moisturized and silky smooth. For shampoo, I use their Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture formula. For conditioner, I use their Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating product.


Skin and Face

My skin is zapped of all moisture during the winter, so I depend on a few products to keep my skin smooth and silky. For body, I use Whole Foods' 365 Everyday Maximum Moisture lotion. I slather it on my arms, legs, feet..everywhere. For my face, I use Earth Science Naturals Almond Aloe moisturizer with SPF 15. It's always important to wear SPF, and even if the sun isn't always out in the winter, it's still possible to damage your skin during this season, so protect it! 


Makeup

I don't wear much makeup, but when I do, I shop Gabriel Cosmetics. In the winter, I get especially pale. While this isn't necessarily a 'problem' that needs to be solved, I don't like to look like a walking corpse. I use Gabriel Cosmetics blush in Apricot to add a little color to my face.

Keeping Warm

If you live where I do, winter is COLD. You need a good winter coat to live here. And boots, gloves, and a hat, and a scarf, and sometimes, a face mask. It gets that bad. It can be tricky to find cruelty-free products, so I've picked out a few things I think you might like.

For coats, avoid down. The feathers come from geese that are essentially tortured and plucked to death. Choose primaloft or some other synthetic form of down, or go for another type of winter coat instead. One good option is Patagonia's Women's Better Sweater Coat  or anything from the way-out-of-my-price range Vaute Couture

Patagonia's coat:


Toasty drinks and food:

To keep your belly warm, make sure to drink plenty of hot beverages. I'm a coffee girl in the morning, but throughout the day, I drink plenty of tea. My winter favorites include Yogi's Echinacea Immune Support, Good Earth's Organic Original Sweet and Spicy, and Numi's Chocolate pu-erh


For winter food, I make a lot of hearty whole grains like barley, bulgur, cook a lot of soups, and eat a lot of winter greens like kale and cabbage. I've included a soup recipe here that I absolutely adore. It's a chickpea and cabbage soup adapted from the Post Punk Kitchen's recipe. I also eat a lot of seasonal fruits like pears and apples, and when I'm missing summer fruit, I buy it frozen and add it to cereal or oatmeal.

Anyway, here's the recipe, and I hope this guide gave you some ideas for your vegan winter survival kit.



Chickpea Cabbage Soup (adapted from the PPK.com)

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tsp. dried thyme
1 Tsp. dried sage
1 Tsp. dried parsley
1 Tsp. dried dill
1/2 cup brown basmati rice
1/2 lb carrots cut thinly
1 lb savoy cabbage or regular green cabbage (about 1/4 of a large head), sliced thinly
6 cups broth (homemade is best, but if you use store bought, make sure it is low sodium)
3 cups chickpeas, homemade or canned. If canned, drain and rinse.
salt and pepper

1. Warm a stockpot over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Stir for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the herbs and about 1 Tbsp. of salt.
2. Add rice, cabbage and carrots and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it has boiled, bring it down to a simmer and let cook for another 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
3. Stir in a little bit more salt and pepper, and serve with crusty bread.

Enjoy and stay warm!









1 comment:

  1. Love this post! The recipe looks very similar to what I had for dinner last night! I made roasted white beans, kale, cabbage, and brussel sprouts with a hearty baked potato and smothered the whole thing with loads of ripe avocado! So perfect for such cold weather! And the products guide is super helpful! I am always looking for makeup and lotions that are veg-friendly! Thanks and hope you're doing well my dear!!

    ReplyDelete